Published November 19, 2013
Notre Dame Prep volleyball wins in dramatic fashion
By Christian Davis email@example.com Follow Christian on Twitter.
PONTIAC — Pontiac Notre Dame Prep’s Ellen Guerra and Jenna Sassack leaped simultaneously, sending the North Branch High spike to the floor, and in return, keeping the Fighting Irish’s hopes of a volleyball state championship afloat.
Prep beat the Broncos 25-15, 25-21, 14-25, 23-25, 24-22 in a Class B quarterfinal Nov. 19 at home.
The final point came from the duo’s block.
“That was an epic match. It was great, it’s too bad that either team had to lose,” Prep coach Betty Wroubel said. “Somehow the girls just gutted it out. I think with the team chemistry, our kids love each other and play for each other. That was the difference for us.”
In the fifth game, the Fighting Irish faced six match points.
“It was just a dream really. It was the best feeling. I trust my team, I trust myself, and it was just going out there and believing we could do it,” Prep’s Katherine Carlson said. “We just kept calm. We knew we could win.”
North Branch ends the year 60-7-1.
“That fifth set was anyone’s game. Our kids never gave up. We just couldn’t get that one point that we needed,” North Branch coach James Fish said.
Prep goes to 60-2-1 and takes on Wayland Union at 7:15 p.m. Nov. 22 in Battle Creek.
In other area volleyball news:
Bloomfield Hills Marian beat Romeo High in three games to earn a spot in a Class A semifinal. The Mustangs take on Temperance Bedford at 7:15 p.m. Nov. 21 in Battle Creek.
In Class C, Auburn Hills Oakland Christian defeated Ottawa Lake Whiteford in five games. In the semifinal, the Lancers play Beal City High at 3:45 p.m. Nov. 22 in Battle Creek.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- Chippewa Valley senior volleyball standout to take her talents to the next level - Clinton Township
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak