Published November 23, 2013
Notre Dame Prep volleyball takes Class B state title
By Christian Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Christian on Twitter.
BATTLE CREEK — Pontiac Notre Dame Prep withstood a late charge from Grand Rapids South Christian to capture the Class B volleyball state championship.
The Fighting Irish won 25-15, 25-19, 19-25, 25-23 Nov. 23 in Battle Creek.
“The kids were just on a mission this year. They love to play for each other. I can’t say it enough, they’re just great kids. They’re great teammates,” Prep coach Betty Wroubel said. “They deserve everything they get. They just work hard.”
Katherine Carlson led the way for Prep with 25 kills in the match. Dani McCormick finished with 17 and Ashley Knutson dished out 36 assists.
For the Sailors, Taylor Wierenga led the way with 17 kills. Emily Blankespoor finished with 41 assists.
“They are a great team, and definitely the toughest one we played in the tournament,” Sailors coach Allison Sagraves said. “They don’t make a lot of mistakes, but I was proud of my team, they didn’t quit.”
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing - Eastpointe
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak