Published June 12, 2013
Lutheran Northwest falls in regional final; Prep, Lake Orion High drop out of playoffs
By Christian Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Christian on Twitter.
MADISON HEIGHTS — Rochester Hills Lutheran Northwest softball coach Jeff Ludwig was all smiles.
His team, filled with mostly underclassmen, had just taken state power Allen Park Cabrini to the brink in a Division 3 regional final June 8 at Madison Heights Bishop Foley.
The Crusaders lost 6-1, but the game had been tied through five innings before the Monarchs scored one in the sixth and then four in the seventh.
“I think maybe they were a more experienced team and handled the pressure there at the end. We had them worried, but they fought through it, so kudos to Cabrini,” Ludwig said. “We’re a very young team, but we didn’t show it today.”
The Crusaders beat Detroit Henry Ford Academy 15-1 in five innings in the semifinals.
Northwest finishes the year 15-12 overall, but started the season 2-9, before winning 13 of their next 16 games, including the program’s second straight district championship.
“They refused to let (the slow start) get them down and just kept working, just kept working,” Ludwig said.
Northwest has just two seniors (Rachel Dober and Brianna Neumeyer), one junior and six underclassmen in the starting lineup.
“I feel so proud,” Neumeyer said. “To come back from (our slow start), then be district champions and be with (Cabrini) right up until the end, it’s an awesome feeling.”
Though Northwest is expected to return all but two starters next season, Ludwig said the duo will be missed.
“They’re the heart and soul of the team. Our goal every year is to send the seniors out on a good note. What we’ve done the last two weeks was surely for their benefit, and they played into that,” he said. “They laid the groundwork. We hope to keep moving forward with what they helped us accomplish.”
In other local softball news:
Lake Orion High fell in its Division 1 regional semifinal.
The Dragons lost to Hartland High 6-3 June 8 at Rochester High.
In Division 2, Pontiac Notre Dame Prep lost to St. Clair High 6-0 June 8 at Bloomfield Hills Andover.
The game was tied in the fourth inning before St. Clair scored two in the bottom half of the inning and then four more in the fifth.
Victoria Bayliss had two of the Fighting Irish’s three hits.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak