Published June 14, 2013
Lutheran North boys golf team makes return trip to state finals
By Jason Carmel Davis email@example.com Follow Jason on Twitter.
MACOMB TOWNSHIP — Macomb Lutheran North boys golf coach Mike Morris said he’d rather win a 2013 Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 3 regional title than a district championship.
That’s exactly what happened, as the Mustangs captured a D-3 regional title in a match that took place June 6 at the Flint Elks Country Club in Flint. They finished second in their district the weekend prior, and Morris said that finish prompted his golfers to work a little harder in preparation for the regional.
Lutheran North, which tallied a 317 in winning the regional, played in the 2013 D-3 state finals after press time. Check the next edition of the Journal for a full recap.
“I’m pretty pleased with how the team is playing right now,” Mustangs coach Mike Morris said. “I really think we’re peaking at the right time.”
Morris, who guided the Mustangs to a 12th place finish at the 2012 state finals, said Lutheran North golfers worked on their short games in getting ready for the finals.
“We’ve got to hit those chips and putts and do our best to one-putt each hole,” Morris said. “We’ve got to hit those five- to 10-foot birdie putts if we want to give ourselves a chance to win.”
Morris said seeing tough competition throughout the regular season played a huge role in prepping the Mustangs for a deep playoff run. During the regular season, Lutheran North matched up against defending D-1 champion Birmingham Brother Rice and Detroit Catholic Central, which finished sixth in the D-1 finals last year and won a state title in 2010.
Lutheran North also had a regular-season match with defending D-2 champ Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook.
“You don’t really get to hone your skills going up against guys you know you can beat,” Morris said. “Playing against those teams really helped to get us ready because they’re some of the best.
“Now, we’re going to go out and see if we can win (a state title).”
For more on the finals, visit our website at www.candgnews.com. For more on how the Mustangs fare, see next week’s paper.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak