Clinton Township, Fraser
Published March 5, 2014
Local teams participate in state tournaments
By Thomas Franz firstname.lastname@example.org
AUBURN HILLS — Three local wrestlers participated in the MHSAA individual state wrestling tournament held Feb. 27-March 1 at The Palace of Auburn Hills.
Chippewa Valley’s Evan Lockemy (140 pounds) and Tristan Szajna (152 pounds), and Fraser freshman Danny Pfeffer (125 pounds) all took part in the state finals.
In the 140-pound bracket, Lockemy fell in his opening-round match to Jacob Heaps, of Portage Northern, by a 5-4 decision. Lockemy, a senior, went on to win his first-round consolation match against Ty Jasman, of Canton, with a 5-2 decision, but he would lose in the second round to Robert Freter, of Ann Arbor Pioneer.
Lockemy concluded his season with a 51-6 record.
At 152 pounds, Szajna took the same path as his teammate. Szajna opened the state tournament with a loss to Blake Montrie, of Temperance Bedford. He would rally to get a win in the first round on the consolation bracket by pinfall against Aaron Cummings, of Grand Haven, before bowing out in the second round of the consolation bracket to Tyler Grimsley, of Anchor Bay.
Szajna, a junior, finished his season at 32-10. Chippewa coach Scott Kolesky said that his pair gave a great effort.
“They did a tremendous job, and they didn’t quit. They competed with a great deal of effort. This tournament is a barn-burner, so it’s a challenge to get your hand raised. So we got some things that we can work on for the future, but we’re proud of the way our guys competed. They did a great job competing,” Kolesky said.
Fraser freshman Danny Pfeffer concluded his season with two losses in the 125-pound bracket. Pfeffer lost a 4-3 decision to Evan Schroder, of Portage Northern, in the opening round before falling to Connor Boike, of Flushing, in the consolation bracket.
Fraser basketball falls is district final
The Ramblers took a 45-22 loss against Warren Cousino to close out their season. Sasha Parker scored eight points, and Julia Stewart added six for Fraser, which ended its season with an 11-12 record.
To get to the district final, Fraser defeated East Detroit 43-23 in the opening round before beating Warren Mott 33-25 in a district semifinal. Stewart led the Ramblers with 16 points in the East Detroit contest, while Parker had 13 points, seven rebounds and eight blocks against Mott.
Fraser’s seniors playing their final prep game were Jenna Benvenuti, Linda Preni, Anna Adamo and Alex Adamo.
Big Reds drop district opener
Chippewa Valley lost its opening round contest in district play 41-21 to L’Anse Creuse.
Ramblers bow out in hockey pre-egional
Fraser lost to Berkley 8-0 in a preregional contest. Seniors on this year’s Ramblers team were Ben Bellmore, Joe Lamb, Bailey Toma and Dan Hiltz. The Ramblers ended their season with a 3-19 record.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- Chippewa Valley senior volleyball standout to take her talents to the next level - Clinton Township
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak