Published March 18, 2013
Local players fill All-MAC hockey teams
By Jason Carmel Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Jason on Twitter.
The 2012-13 Macomb Area Conference hockey season has come to a close for all 15 squads.
Teams in each of the three divisions saw varying results over the course of the year, with a number of players on those teams being named to the 2012-13 All-MAC hockey team.
All-MAC teams have been released for each division — Red, White and Blue, along with Most Valuable Player and Coach of the Year honors.
Here’s a breakdown of each team in the three MAC divisions.
Macomb Dakota senior forward Chad Roskelly earned league MVP honors. Utica Eisenhower coach Bob Hall was named Coach of the Year after guiding Ike to a league title.
All-MAC honorees are Roskelly, senior forward Ronnie O’Connor and senior defenseman Brad Schornak, Dakota; senior forward Stino Biondo, senior forward Ryan Jaros and senior defenseman Mike Burkhardt, Eisenhower; senior forward Kyle Hyde, Marysville; sophomore forward Marshall Moise, St. Clair Shores Unified; junior forward Scott Conlin, St. Clair High.
Utica Eisenhower and Macomb Dakota both finished 7-1 in league play to share the MAC Red Division title. The title is the second straight for Dakota. Marysville was next at 3-5, followed by St. Clair Shores (2-6) and St. Clair High (1-7).
Utica Stevenson junior forward Dino Balsamo played his way to league MVP honors. After leading Romeo to an undefeated mark in league play, Bulldogs coach John Minjoe was named MAC White Coach of the Year.
All-MAC honorees are Balsamo, Stevenson; forward Mitch Pacitti, defenseman Jake Rutkoske and forward Adam Soboleski, Romeo; junior forwards Kyle Allard and D.J. LaBash, Utica High; senior forward Tyler Andrews, Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse; senior forward Gage Mazzatti, Macomb L’Anse Creuse North.
Romeo went 8-0 in winning the MAC White. Utica High (6-1-1) placed second, followed by L’Anse Creuse (4-3-1), LCN (1-6-1) and Stevenson (1-7).
Fraser senior forward/defenseman J.R. Dellies earned division MVP honors, while Anchor Bay coach Mel Rettell was named league Coach of the Year.
All-MAC honorees are Dellies and senior forward Jackson Gray, Fraser; senior forward Matt Kaiser, sophomore forward Austin Koleski and senior netminder Larry Parisi, Anchor Bay; forward Andrew Baxter, Clinton Township Chippewa Valley; junior forward Brandon Mezuk, Warren Mott; sophomore forward Will Kriewall, Port Huron.
Anchor Bay finished 8-0 in league play to win the Blue. Fraser (6-2) placed second, followed by Chippewa Valley (3-4), Mott (1-6-1) and Port Huron (1-6).
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak