St. Clair Shores
Published March 13, 2014
Lakeview boys coach looks back at team’s run to state finals
By Jason Carmel Davis email@example.com Follow Jason on Twitter.
STERLING HEIGHTS — St. Clair Shores Lakeview boys bowling coach Alan Wyzlic called his team’s run to the 2014 Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 1 state finals one he and every member of the team will always remember.
“It was a great experience for the kids,” Wyzlic said. “For a lot of the guys, it was their first time in that type of environment, so it’s definitely something they’ll keep with them.”
Lakeview finished 14th at the team finals, which took place Feb. 28 at Sunnybrook Lanes in Sterling Heights, with a score of 3,523. Eighteen teams competed in the D-1 finals, which was won by Clarkston High. To qualify for the state finals, teams had to record top-three finishes in their respective regional tournaments.
To advance to the team state finals, Lakeview finished third at a regional Feb. 21 in Woodhaven. The Huskies tallied 3,749 points.
Wyzlic said he thought his team could have performed a bit better. He said he believes the pressure caught up to the group.
High school bowling is played baker style, where a 10-frame game is played by five team members.
“It’s something that the players who will be back can learn from,” Wyzlic said. “You savor the moment, but you go out and try to get better and make another run next season.”
The team, which won a second straight Macomb Area Conference Blue Division title, will return four of six bowlers next season. Seniors Mitchell Cunha, who qualified for the D-1 individual finals with a top-10 finish at a Feb. 22 regional, and Justin Bashaw will graduate. Earlier this season, Wyzlic said Cunha and Bashaw played major roles in the team’s success.
Returning bowlers are sophomores Jacob Richards and Nathan Weaver, along with juniors Izac Davidson and Matt Schulk. Wyzlic said he expects Davidson and Schulk to take over the roles vacated by Cunha and Bashaw.
“They’ll have to use everything they learned this season and expand on it next year,” Wyzlic said. “We’re looking to have continued success next season.”
Bowlers from Lakeview girls team compete at state finals
St. Clair Shores Lakeview sophomore Amber Suwalski, along with senior Christina Thomas, advanced to the 2014 MHSAA Division 1 individual bowling finals. Suwalski and Thomas finished 37th and 48th, respectively, at the finals.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- South Lake girls soccer coach hopes to keep league title streak alive - St. Clair Shores
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak