Published May 15, 2013
Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county
By Christian Davis email@example.com Follow Christian on Twitter.
WATERFORD — The Lake Orion High boys golf team dominated its way to the Oakland County tournament championship May 15 at the Pontiac Country Club.
The Dragons shot a team total 303, besting the field by 12 strokes.
“We knew we could possibly win if we all played well,” Lake Orion senior Alex Waelchli said. “We’ve been really heading in the right direction as a team. It’s good for us to prove to ourselves that we’re playing well, because we’ve been a little off but have scored well in the last two tournaments.”
Novi Catholic Central finished second with 315, followed by Rochester Adams (316) and Rochester Hills Stoney Creek beating Farmington High on a tiebreaker after firing 318..
Birmingham Brother Rice, Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood, Novi High and Clarkston High all shot 320, and Rochester High tallied 322 to round out the top 10.
Individually, Waelchli took the crown, shooting a 2-under 70. Cranbrook's Dylan Deogun was second with a 72.
“I played very well. I made a bunch of putts all day, was able to get the ball up and down when I missed the green, and I didn’t make any big mistakes,” Waelchli said. “There are a lot of good golfers playing in Oakland County, a lot of guys that are playing in college next year. So it’s a good, tough tournament to win.”
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak