Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township, Rochester, Rochester Hills, Troy
Published March 11, 2013
Lahser and Rochester High boys basketball get past regional semis
By Christian Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Christian on Twitter.
WEST BLOOMFIELD — Bloomfield Hills Lahser and Rochester High have a date for a Class A regional championship at 7 p.m. March 13 at West Bloomfield High.
Each squad won their semifinal tilt March 11.
Lahser beat Troy Athens 70-61.
“The kids played great; it was definitely a battle for us,” Lahser coach Duane Graves said. “Tonight our transition game was clicking, and the kids were looking for the extra pass.”
Lahser led 16-14 after the first quarter and 33-31 going into the half, but the Knights' length and athleticism took over in the second half.
“We came in with the expectation of winning, but Lahser has a great team. We gave up too many fast-break buckets,” Athens coach Dave Scott said.
Lahser’s Yante Maten led all scorers with 24 points. Jeff Koch paced the Red Hawks with 15.
The Knights go to 18-6 overall and Athens finishes 6-17.
“I know we shocked some people (winning a district championship), but we always thought we had it in us,” Scott said.
In the second game of the night, Rochester beat Romeo 59-43. The Falcons never trailed in the contest, limiting the Bulldogs’ opportunities offensively.
“We knew that could be a problem going in and were a little worried,” Romeo coach Dale Teller said. “That has been our Achilles all season.”
Rochester’s James Young led all scorers with 24 points.
Rochester goes to 20-4. Romeo ends the season 14-9.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak