Published March 7, 2014
L’Anse Creuse’s Richter reflects on run to state title match
By Jason Carmel Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Jason on Twitter.
AUBURN HILLS — Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse senior 171-pound wrestler Devan Richter said he had a great experience competing at the 2014 Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 1 state finals.
Richter finished second in his weight class to Novi Detroit Catholic Central’s Drew Garcia, who was able to hold on for a 5-2 win over Richter in the D-1 171-pound state title match, which took place March 1 at The Palace of Auburn Hills.
“It’s been a great experience. It’s my last year. I would have liked to come out of it with the title; that’s the only thing I would have changed,” said Richter, who ends the season with a 56-2 record. “I had a great time. I was here with my family and teammates. I couldn’t have asked for a better time.”
Lancers wrestling coach David Prince said it was a tough loss for Richter. His only two defeats this season came to Garcia.
“We watched a lot of video on what (Richter) needed to fix,” Prince said. “He brought the aggression this time; however, he allowed Garcia to control the tie, which we didn’t want him to do.
“Devan worked really hard to get to this point. I’m sad to see it end this way.”
Richter said his wrestling career doesn’t end with the loss in the state finals. He said he plans to enroll at a community college in Iowa and hopes to end up wrestling at a Division 1 university.
“This year’s been awesome. I think I wrestled awesome, outside of a couple of matches,” said Richter, who placed fifth at the state finals in 2013 to also earn All-State honors. “I had a great time with my teammates. I love my teammates. I wouldn’t trade them for anything.”
The top eight wrestlers in each weight class earned All-State honors.
“This was a great year for Devan,” Prince said. “His only two losses are to Garcia. I wish I had another year with him.”
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak