Published October 22, 2013
Highlanders cash in on shootout, beat Clarkston 1-0 to advance to regional final
By Mike Moore firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Mike on Twitter.
ROCHESTER — Chances came and went.
Overtimes came and went.
Finally, in the shootout, the Rochester Adams soccer team secured its first regional victory since 2009.
“This is huge, such a great win for our guys,” coach Josh Hickey said after the Highlanders beat Clarkston High 1-0 in a Tuesday night Division 1 regional semifinal at Rochester High. “These guys went out and earned it. They’ve battle all season, and they never stop fighting.”
Both teams exchanged chances during regulation, and Hickey said his guys had a few “decent” shots at a goal in the overtime.
But this one was to be settled in the shootout.
Clarkston scored on three of its shots.
Adams cashed in on four.
“We made one more save than they did,” Hickey said of senior goalie Eric McLean. “That was the difference.”
Adams, now 10-6-6, faces Traverse City West in a regional final at Midland High. A time and date are stil to be detemrined.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- South Lake girls soccer coach hopes to keep league title streak alive - St. Clair Shores
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak