Grosse PointesMarch 16, 2013
Grosse Pointe South girls basketball defeated at state final
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
EAST LANSING — Despite overcoming an 11-point fourth quarter deficit to send the game to overtime, Grosse Pointe South's girls basketball team lost to Grand Haven 60-54 in a Class A state final matchup March 16 at the Breslin Center.
South also met up with Grand Haven in last season's state final, with the Buccaneers coming away with a one-point victory in that contest.
Despite his disappointment in not leaving East Lansing with a state title, coach Kevin Richards appreciates the effort he got from his team.
"I'm extremely proud of the girls," he said "We executed the game plan as far as what we wanted to do. I can't say enough about the girls in the locker room."
Forward Claire DeBoer had some ideas as to what it is about her team that helped South not give up and mount a fourth-quarter comeback.
"We've been behind before," she said. "We knew we could come back. (If) we play as hard as we can (and) put pressure on them, we feel we can go out and get some turnovers. I think our pressure really helped us."
While he was hoping it would be his team hoisting a state trophy at the end of the game, Richards understands the quality of opponent his team faced in Grand Haven.
"Having lost a second straight year to the same team, it hurts," he said. "But I just love the way our girls competed. We had the tempo we wated. Give Grand Haven credit; they made some plays when they needed to."
Aside from the fourth, South trailed Grand Haven after each quarter of play. Grand Haven held a 14-9 lead after the first quarter and expanded on it even further in the second, taking a 26-17 lead into the half.
The Buccaneers maintained their nine-point advantage heading into the fourth quarter, as they led 40-31.
Cierra Rice led South with 24 points.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley baseball beats Bridgman, plays for third D-3 title in three years tomorrow - Madison Heights
- Liggett wins D-4 state title in extra innings - Grosse Pointes
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title
- Rice, Cranbrook and Bloomfield United battle for lacrosse crowns
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Lathrup baseball claims fourth OAA Gold title in last seven seasons
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals