Published September 4, 2013
Grosse Pointe South earns first win of 2013 season, dominates Warren Cousino
By Thomas Franz firstname.lastname@example.org
Grosse Pointe South scored early and often against Warren Cousino on Wednesday night to earn a 6-1 victory, its first win of the season.
Junior Cameron Kotas opened the scoring for South with 28:22 left in the first half, then senior midfielder Daniel Bukacel scored twice in a matter of 23 seconds to give the Blue Devils a 3-0 lead with 12:34 to go in the opening half.
"It was a great feeling. I put the first one in, and I thought to myself that I could put another one in, and I did," Bukacel said. "I just took the hardest shot I possibly could and it ended up going in."
Cousino's Kyle Gatto temporarily stopped the bleeding for the Patriots by scoring on a penalty kick with 11:21 left in the half, but South would respond quickly.
Junior midfielder Sean Moran scored on a header off of a beautiful cross from junior Brad Beddow at the eight minute mark.
Andrew Cornwall capped off the flurry for South with a breakaway goal to give the Blue Devils a 5-1 lead going into halftime.
Ian Sutherland closed out the scoring for South two minutes into the second half off of a penalty kick.
Cousino( 1-1-2) will take on Grosse Pointe North next on Monday; South( 1-4) will host Romeo on Friday.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak