Published December 18, 2013
Grosse Pointe South defeats Grosse Pointe North at Comerica Park
By Thomas Franz email@example.com
Grosse Pointe South earned a hard-fought 5-4 victory against Grosse Pointe North on Wednesday in a game played at Comerica Park in preparation for Hockeytown Winter Festival.
South's Ellie Flom netted the game-winning goal with about two minutes remaining in the contest after North rallied from a two-goal deficit in the third period to tie the game at four.
"We've been really working on getting pucks to the net and driving to the net for rebounds. Two of our goals were off rebounds, and Ellie (Flom) just moved her feet, and got good control of the puck and took a shot to put it away," South coach Joe Provenzano said.
Karina Lucchese and Lindsay Gallagher scored the two goals for North during its comeback. Also scoring for North were Elizabeth Gallagher and Caroline Bock.
"It was a great experience for the girls. It was great that it was North and South," North coach Joe Lucchese said. "About half of the girls on both of these teams have played together since they were 5 or 6, so to be involved in the Winter Classic was a wonderful experience."
South's Tenley Shield scored twice and had an assist to pace the Blue Devils. Gennie Martin and Sydney Stann also scored for South.
"It was absolutely unbelieveable. The girls were excited just to be a part of coming down here with the Winter Classic, and for the girls to play as hard and play a great team in North was just an awesome experience," Provenzano said.
North dropped to 3-5 on the season while South improved to 7-2.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak