- Boys Football Dakota PPD Chippewa Valley PPD 9/03
- Boys Football Southfield Lathrup 7 Royal Oak High 21 9/03
- Boys Tennis Troy Athens 5 Rochester 3 9/02
- Boys Tennis Fraser 6 Chippewa Valley 2 9/02
- Boys Soccer Rochester Adams 1 De La Salle 0 9/01
- Boys Soccer Brother Rice 2 Fenton 0 8/31
- Boys Soccer Macomb Dakota 1 Utica 0 8/31
- Boys Soccer Sterling Heights Stevenson 4 Grosse Pointe North 0 8/31
Divine Child scores in first half, hangs on to beat St. Mary's 1-0 in soccer showdown
August 27, 2013
DEARBORN — The chances came late, and in the end, they proved to be nothing more than just — chances.
And after 80 minutes of soccer, and the first league game of the season complete, the Orchard Lake St. Mary’s squad let a huge chance get away Tuesday afternoon at Dearborn Divine Child, falling 1-0.
“We just didn’t play well enough to win,” coach Joe Ruffolo said afterward. “There’s a lot of small things here and there, but when you break it down, we didn’t play well enough to win.”
Divine Child got the only goal of the game when Anthony Tucker found the back of the net midway through the first half.
St. Mary’s seemed to play better as the day wore on, and especially threatened in the game’s final 10 minutes.
“We did, we did play better,” Ruffolo said. “But in the end, we had chances and couldn’t find a way to convert. That really hurt us.”
St. Mary’s, which posted its first non-losing season in 2012 and plans on contending for a Catholic League AA Division title this fall, is now 1-1 overall and 0-1 in league play.