Published August 13, 2014
De La Salle football to play its 2014 home games at Wayne State
By Jason Carmel Davis email@example.com Follow Jason on Twitter.
WARREN — Officials from Warren De La Salle announced Aug. 1 that the football team will play its 2014 home games at Wayne State University.
A press release detailed that De La Salle, which played its home contests at St. Clair Shores Lake Shore last season, will likely be the only prep football team to play its home games inside an NCAA stadium. The Pilots season opener last season against Toledo Central Catholic was played at Wayne State.
“Wayne State’s facility is a premiere NCAA Division II field,” said De La Salle athletic director Brian Kelly in the release. “Our football players, as well as those of the visiting teams, will be able to play in a big-game atmosphere on one of the finest campuses in the state.”
Since 1983, De La Salle has played home games at a variety of sites — Roseville Memorial Field, East Detroit High School, the Warren Community Center, Warren Fitzgerald High, St. Clair Shores Lakeview, Hazel Park High and Lake Shore.
Kelly told C & G News he engaged in talks with Wayne State officials asking if athletic department officials rented the football field out to high school teams. Kelly spoke with Warriors athletic director Rob Fournier on the issue and the two worked in concert for a few months to make this happen.
“The location is a 20-minute drive via expressway from (De La Salle) and affords those alumni and other fans of De La Salle football the opportunity to watch some of the best high school football in the state of Michigan at a large and comfortable stadium,” Kelly said.
Cost to attend the Pilots home games will remain $5, Kelly said. There will be a $5 charge to park in a lot adjacent to the stadium. Tailgating will be permitted in the lot.
The Warriors stadium has a capacity of about 6,000, according to the website stadiumsusa.com. Tom Adams field at WSU will also be the site of the 2014 Prep Kickoff Classic Aug. 28-30.
Warren De La Salle 2014 home schedule (all games at 7 p.m.)
vs. Clarke Road Secondary Academy (Ontario) — Sept. 5
vs. Canada Prep Academy (Ontario) — Sept. 12
vs. Birmingham Brother Rice — Sept. 19
vs. Orchard Lake St. Mary’s — Sept. 26
vs. Dearborn Fordson — Oct. 3
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Lamerato confident his Hawks will contend when consistency develops - Farmington Hills
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak