Macomb County, Oakland County, Wayne County
Published March 19, 2014
College hoops season wrapped
By Mark Vest email@example.com Follow Mark on Twitter.
The season has come to a close for all of the local NCAA Division I basketball squads.
After defeating Youngstown State University 96-92 in an opening-round game of the Horizon League tournament March 4, Oakland University’s men’s basketball team (13-20) lost to Wright State University 73-57 in the quarterfinals round March 7.
Oakland’s women’s squad (13-17) also lost a quarterfinal game, as Youngstown State came away with a 68-64 victory against the Golden Grizzlies March 12.
The University of Detroit Mercy men’s team (13-19) lost to the University of Milwaukee-Wisconsin 83-73 in an opening-round game in the Horizon League tournament March 4. Milwaukee went on to win the tournament, earning a berth into the NCAA tournament.
The Titans’ women’s squad (6-24) lost to Valparaiso University 76-69 in an opening-round game of the Horizon League Championship March 10.
In other local postseason college basketball news:
Wayne State University’s women’s basketball team (23-8) made it all the way to the regional final game of the NCAA Division II tournament for the second consecutive year. After defeating the University of Indianapolis and Lewis University, respectively, in the first two rounds, the Warriors lost to Drury University 99-63 in the regional final March 17.
According to Wayne State’s athletic website, the Warriors equaled the school record for wins (23) and NCAA tournament wins (2).
Oakland Community College (28-4) lost to Wayne County Community College District 77-76 in the championship game of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) District 10 men’s basketball tournament March 8. Prior to that defeat, OCC had beaten Henry Ford Community College and Mott Community College.
After defeating Schoolcraft College 69-53 in the first round of the NJCAA District H women’s basketball tournament March 4, Macomb Community College lost to Delta College 57-53 in the second round March 7.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak