Bloomfield Hills, Utica
Published October 25, 2013
Bloomfield Hills defeats Utica
By Thomas Franz email@example.com
In the first year of Bloomfield Hills High athletics, its soccer team will be going to the state semifinals.
With less than five minutes left in the contest, Conor Wahl was able to deflect a loose ball in the box after a corner kick to score the game-winner for Bloomfield, as the Black Hawks defeated Utica 2-1 Friday evening.
"It's fantastic. They seem to be getting stronger and stronger, not just on the field but off the field," Bloomfield coach Dougie MacAulay said. "The dream is coming a little bit closer."
The two sides exchanged goals late in the first half to set up the dramatic ending.
Bloomfield's Kyle Petrovich opened the scoring with 6:27 remaining in the first half. Utica's Matt Wilkie responded immediately by scoring on a rebound with 5:19 left before intermission.
Utica finishes the season with a 17-6-3 record, while Bloomfield Hills (15-2-5) advances to play the winner of Rochester Adams and Traverse City West in a state semifinal game on Tuesday night.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Chippewa Valley senior volleyball standout to take her talents to the next level - Clinton Township
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak