Published June 4, 2014
Birmingham Marian girls soccer downs Warren Regina in D-2 regional semi
By Jason Carmel Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Jason on Twitter.
BERKLEY — The Birmingham Marian girls soccer team's quest for another trip to the Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 2 state finals continued with a 3-0 win over Warren Regina in a D-2 regional semifinal June 4 at Hurley Field in Berkley.
The Mustangs (17-0-1) tallied two goals with less than 10 minutes to play in the first half of the match. The third and final score came with 30:01 to play in the second half.
Marian advances to take on Lapeer West in a regional final set for 7 p.m. June 6 at Hurley Field.
The win was the third of the season for the Mustangs over the Saddlelites, which end the season at 11-8-1.
"They came out playing really well. They're a good team. We're fortunate to have won tonight," Mustangs coach Barry Brodsky said.
Marian junior Jacklyn Engel notched the first goal of he game with 9 minutes to play in the first half. Mustangs freshman Hannah Redoute made it 2-0 with 1:55 left in the first. Marian junior Kelly Sweeney scored the final goal at 30:01 of the second half.
"We did OK in the first 15-20 minutes," said Regina coach Ryan Elchuk. "There were opportunities to be had, and we just couldn't make the most of the chances we had and (Marian) was able to take advantage. We couldn't handle them today. They were just the better team."
Marian is looking for its sixth state title since 2003 and fourth since 2009. The Mustangs finished as state runners-up last season.
"You can have this kind of success when you have good players," Brodsky said. "We've got a lot of players who've played in a lot of big games. They count on each other to step up and play well. If we continue to do that, we'll have a good game against Lapeer West."
Other girls soccer scores
Utica Ford 1, Troy Athens 0 (shootout)
Utica Eisenhower 4, Walled Lake Northern 1
Grosse Pointe South 1, Macomb Dakota 0
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak