The Warren Woods Public Schools community is feeling the devastating loss of a 1998 Warren Woods Tower High School graduate.
School officials are remembering Ronald Smith as, “An active and valuable member of the Warren Woods community” who “undoubtedly had a bright future.”
According to a press release, Smith was an outstanding student, athlete and member of the National Honor Society while attending WWTHS.
“We are all deeply saddened over this loss of a bright and talented alumnus,” WWPS Superintendent Stacey Denewith-Fici said in a prepared statement. “We would ask that you keep his family, as well as our Warren Woods family, in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.”
The press release does not state how Smith died, but news reports circulating via social media indicated he was shot to death Dec. 5 while jogging in Benghazi, Libya.
Smith was a teacher at the International School Benghazi, located just outside Benghazi, where he deeply touched the lives of his students. News of the educator’s death was reported on the school’s website at www.isb.com.ly.
“We are deeply saddened to report the tragic death of Ronnie Smith, a beloved teacher and friend. Ronnie supported students in their learning and always had time to help when asked. He was a professional who gave his time freely and without question,” school Principal Peter Hodge stated on the website.
“We cannot begin to comprehend why this has happened and it is extremely difficult for his students and his colleagues to accept. Our deepest condolences go to his family at this terrible time,” Hodge continued. “We are doing everything we can to work with authorities at this difficult time, and thank you all for your expressions of support and condolences. Thank you.”
Students and parents who knew Smith took to Facebook to remember the slain teacher. Many wrote for Smith to “rest in peace,” and that he was a “wonderful” teacher. Others were saddened and offered their condolences to his family.
Friends also remembered him on the Warren Woods Tower High School Alums Facebook page.
- 30 DAYS
- Transit center legal question delayed - Troy
- Drilling ordinances ban fracking - Rochester Hills
- Parade marches on with cheering crowds - St. Clair Shores
- Busy weekend ahead for car and truck enthusiasts - Macomb Township
- Stay on course with safety while off-roading - Metro Detroit
- Late councilman was a beloved family man, city leader - Utica
- ROHS named as a ‘Best High School’ in annual ranking - Royal Oak
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township