Warren detectives were following several investigative leads Dec. 9, less than 24 hours after a woman was found dead inside the home she rented south of Nine Mile Road and east of Dequindre.
A family member reportedly found the body of Shalisa Lemia O’Dell, 25, inside the home on Garrick at noon Dec. 8. Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said O’Dell apparently suffered a head wound and was found on the living room floor by a cousin who arrived to check on her.
“Some family members, including her dad, were concerned about her well-being because she hadn’t been heard from in a few days,” Green said. “The cousin who actually discovered the body was watching (O’Dell’s) 2-year-old son.”
Green said the cousin went to O’Dell’s home and entered through a back window when O'Dell didn’t answer the door. The cousin called 911 when she found O’Dell on the floor inside.
“It appeared there was a struggle. There was a lot of blood at the scene,” Green said. “It doesn’t appear to be a robbery. The preliminary indications are there was blunt force trauma to the head. We haven’t ruled out a sexual assault.”
An autopsy was scheduled for Dec. 9.
Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said investigators were working to establish a timeline to determine when O’Dell was last heard from or seen. Mills said it could have been as long as five days before her body was found.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact Warren detectives at (586) 574-4810.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township