Woman in critical condition after son allegedly assaults her
Published September 20, 2013
A 77-year-old woman has been hospitalized in critical condition following reports that she had been beaten in a hotel parking lot Sept. 18.
According to Roseville police, the woman’s son, Thomas Joseph Gulas, 35, of Eastpointe, has been arrested and arraigned in 39th District Court in connection with the attack, for one count of assault with intent to do great bodily harm, as well as two counts of malicious destruction of property. Gulas pleaded not guilty to all charges.
The department’s press release said that at about 11 p.m., officers responded to phone calls reporting a man beating an elderly woman in the Super 8 hotel parking lot on Little Mack Avenue. The woman was found unconscious and suffering from “extensive” head and face trauma.
“The victim suffered severe head trauma and may have suffered bleeding on the brain,” Police Chief James Berlin said Sept. 20. “Last check, she was still listed in critical condition.”
The department said that witnesses reported a man had been arguing with the woman over the use of her car before striking her until she fell to the ground. The man then reportedly damaged six vehicles in the lot and ran off.
“He broke out the windshields of several cars, side-view mirrors, dents from kicking cars, etc.,” Berlin said.
Police arrested Gulas, alleging that he called his mother for a ride and then demanded her car before attacking her when she refused. It is unknown if the victim will survive her injuries, the department’s press release said.
A preliminary exam date of Oct. 2 has been set. Gulas requested a court-appointed lawyer who had not been appointed as of press time.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe