Woman arrested for OWI after crashing into police car
Published October 21, 2013
A Detroit woman was arrested Oct. 20 after she allegedly drove her vehicle through a red light at the intersection of Eight Mile Road and Gardendale Street in Ferndale and crashed into a Ferndale police vehicle.
At 11:10 p.m. Oct. 20, the Ferndale police officer was driving his patrol car westbound on Eight Mile when the suspect, 41, ran the red light while attempting to continue northbound on Gardendale, according to Ferndale police.
The woman struck the officer’s vehicle with her Buick Rendezvous, leaving the patrol vehicle disabled after the crash. The officer activated his emergency equipment as the woman fled northbound on Gardendale.
The officer radioed the suspect’s vehicle information and fellow Ferndale officers found the woman reportedly driving northbound on Allen Street with her lights off. Her vehicle was damaged and leaving a trail of fluid behind while driving, police said.
The woman was found to have 12 current suspensions of her driver’s license and several traffic warrants out for her arrest. She had previously been convicted of driving with a suspended license and an investigation indicated that she was drunk during the Oct. 20 incident, police said.
After the woman refused a breath test, officers obtained a warrant and blood was drawn to be analyzed and tested for blood-alcohol content. The results are pending.
The woman faces charges of operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, leaving the scene of an accident and driving with a suspended license, plus several outstanding warrants.
The police officer whose vehicle was hit and the suspect did not sustain any injuries during the collision, according to Ferndale police.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe