Wittenberg, Ryan win 27th District state representative primaries
August 5, 2014
Democrat Robert Wittenberg and Republican Michael Ryan won their respective Aug. 5 primary races and will face off in November for the state representative seat in the 27th District.
Wittenberg ran in the more contested Democratic race against opposition Andrew Cissell, Joe McHugh, Rudy Serra and Kelli Williams. With all 44 precincts reporting, Wittenberg took 4,165 of the total 9,468 votes, accounting for almost 44 percent of all votes.
Wittenberg swept all precincts in Berkley, Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge as well as picking up two precincts in Ferndale, two precincts in Hazel Park and 13 of the 16 Oak Park precincts.
Serra and Williams were the only other two Democratic candidates to win at least one precinct. Serra claimed almost 20 percent of all votes, Williams took about 15 percent, McHugh brought in just more than 11 percent and Cissell accounted for nearly 10 percent.
Ryan ran in a two-man race against Mark Manier for the Republican nomination and claimed 1,382 of the total 2,060 votes, accounting for just more than 67 percent of all votes.
After splitting the one Royal Oak Township precinct with reported votes, Ryan won all precincts in Berkley, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge while taking 13 of the 16 Oak Park precincts.
Check back with www.candgnews.com and the Aug. 13 edition of the Woodward Talk for more on the primary election.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Man arrested after Harrison Township home invasion - Harrison Township
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit