Published August 5, 2014
Wittenberg, Ryan win 27th District state representative primaries
By Joshua Gordon email@example.com
Democrat Robert Wittenberg and Republican Michael Ryan won their respective Aug. 5 primary races and will face off in November for the state representative seat in the 27th District.
Wittenberg ran in the more contested Democratic race against opposition Andrew Cissell, Joe McHugh, Rudy Serra and Kelli Williams. With all 44 precincts reporting, Wittenberg took 4,165 of the total 9,468 votes, accounting for almost 44 percent of all votes.
Wittenberg swept all precincts in Berkley, Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge as well as picking up two precincts in Ferndale, two precincts in Hazel Park and 13 of the 16 Oak Park precincts.
Serra and Williams were the only other two Democratic candidates to win at least one precinct. Serra claimed almost 20 percent of all votes, Williams took about 15 percent, McHugh brought in just more than 11 percent and Cissell accounted for nearly 10 percent.
Ryan ran in a two-man race against Mark Manier for the Republican nomination and claimed 1,382 of the total 2,060 votes, accounting for just more than 67 percent of all votes.
After splitting the one Royal Oak Township precinct with reported votes, Ryan won all precincts in Berkley, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge while taking 13 of the 16 Oak Park precincts.
Check back with www.candgnews.com and the Aug. 13 edition of the Woodward Talk for more on the primary election.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Don’t be behind the curve on roundabouts - Metro Detroit
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley