Wittenberg, Ryan win 27th District state representative primaries
Published August 5, 2014
Democrat Robert Wittenberg and Republican Michael Ryan won their respective Aug. 5 primary races and will face off in November for the state representative seat in the 27th District.
Wittenberg ran in the more contested Democratic race against opposition Andrew Cissell, Joe McHugh, Rudy Serra and Kelli Williams. With all 44 precincts reporting, Wittenberg took 4,165 of the total 9,468 votes, accounting for almost 44 percent of all votes.
Wittenberg swept all precincts in Berkley, Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge as well as picking up two precincts in Ferndale, two precincts in Hazel Park and 13 of the 16 Oak Park precincts.
Serra and Williams were the only other two Democratic candidates to win at least one precinct. Serra claimed almost 20 percent of all votes, Williams took about 15 percent, McHugh brought in just more than 11 percent and Cissell accounted for nearly 10 percent.
Ryan ran in a two-man race against Mark Manier for the Republican nomination and claimed 1,382 of the total 2,060 votes, accounting for just more than 67 percent of all votes.
After splitting the one Royal Oak Township precinct with reported votes, Ryan won all precincts in Berkley, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge while taking 13 of the 16 Oak Park precincts.
Check back with www.candgnews.com and the Aug. 13 edition of the Woodward Talk for more on the primary election.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township