Wittenberg, Ryan win 27th District state representative primaries
August 5, 2014
Democrat Robert Wittenberg and Republican Michael Ryan won their respective Aug. 5 primary races and will face off in November for the state representative seat in the 27th District.
Wittenberg ran in the more contested Democratic race against opposition Andrew Cissell, Joe McHugh, Rudy Serra and Kelli Williams. With all 44 precincts reporting, Wittenberg took 4,165 of the total 9,468 votes, accounting for almost 44 percent of all votes.
Wittenberg swept all precincts in Berkley, Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge as well as picking up two precincts in Ferndale, two precincts in Hazel Park and 13 of the 16 Oak Park precincts.
Serra and Williams were the only other two Democratic candidates to win at least one precinct. Serra claimed almost 20 percent of all votes, Williams took about 15 percent, McHugh brought in just more than 11 percent and Cissell accounted for nearly 10 percent.
Ryan ran in a two-man race against Mark Manier for the Republican nomination and claimed 1,382 of the total 2,060 votes, accounting for just more than 67 percent of all votes.
After splitting the one Royal Oak Township precinct with reported votes, Ryan won all precincts in Berkley, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge while taking 13 of the 16 Oak Park precincts.
Check back with www.candgnews.com and the Aug. 13 edition of the Woodward Talk for more on the primary election.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores