West Bloomfield voters approve new school millage
Published May 8, 2013
Voters approved the West Bloomfield School District building and site sinking fund millage proposal with a 52-47 percent vote during a special election May 7, according to the Oakland County Elections Division website.
According to the website, 2,224 voters, about 52 percent, approved the 14-year millage; 2,034, about 47 percent, rejected the tax, which will last from July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2027.
The owner of a home with a $200,000 market value will be paying an additional $125 in taxes annually, which, over 14 years, comes to $1,750 in total.
The millage proposal comes on the heels of a sinking fund proposal that failed at the polls last November in a 46-54 percent vote. That proposal sought to levy a 10-year, 1.5-mill tax.
Superintendent Gerald Hill said earlier in the month that the new proposal will be easier on homeowners.
“With the lower millage, we will need to reschedule our projects over a longer period of time, and those costs could increase over time,” he said.
The plan will raise about $30.2 million, district officials said.
The district will use the millage to help upgrade and modify schools in the district, replace boilers, parking lots and roofs, and add technology infrastructure, including wi-fi. The approximated costs are about $23 million.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township