WB high school teacher charged with criminal sexual conduct
September 14, 2013
A West Bloomfield High School teacher and girls varsity golf coach was released on bond Sept. 13 after his arraignment for three misdemeanor counts of criminal sexual conduct in the fourth-degree.
Steve Larkin pleaded not guilty in 48th District Court to the charges and was ordered to wear a GPS tether until his preliminary exam Sept. 17. He was released on a $10,000 cash bond.
According West Bloomfield Police Lt. Tim Diamond, the fourth-degree charges allegedly involved inappropriate touching of a former 16-year-old student in a high school classroom in May. Each charge is punishable by two years of jail and/or a $500 fine.
“We obtained the warrants (Sept. 12), and he turned himself in voluntarily this morning with his attorney,” said Diamond. “At this time, these are allegations, and he is innocent until proven guilty.”
Larkin has been with the West Bloomfield School district since 2006, teaching history and social studies. In addition to his position as the varsity golf coach, he is a former junior varsity football coach and former girls varsity basketball coach.
The district placed Larkin on paid administration leave May 31 after the allegation was brought to officials’ attention, according to Pam Zajac, public relations and marketing coordinator of West Bloomfield School District.
Ray Correll, Larkin’s attorney, could not be immediately reached for comment.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- West Bloomfield hopes to ‘eliminate the stigma’ - West Bloomfield
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores