WB high school teacher charged with criminal sexual conduct
Published September 14, 2013
A West Bloomfield High School teacher and girls varsity golf coach was released on bond Sept. 13 after his arraignment for three misdemeanor counts of criminal sexual conduct in the fourth-degree.
Steve Larkin pleaded not guilty in 48th District Court to the charges and was ordered to wear a GPS tether until his preliminary exam Sept. 17. He was released on a $10,000 cash bond.
According West Bloomfield Police Lt. Tim Diamond, the fourth-degree charges allegedly involved inappropriate touching of a former 16-year-old student in a high school classroom in May. Each charge is punishable by two years of jail and/or a $500 fine.
“We obtained the warrants (Sept. 12), and he turned himself in voluntarily this morning with his attorney,” said Diamond. “At this time, these are allegations, and he is innocent until proven guilty.”
Larkin has been with the West Bloomfield School district since 2006, teaching history and social studies. In addition to his position as the varsity golf coach, he is a former junior varsity football coach and former girls varsity basketball coach.
The district placed Larkin on paid administration leave May 31 after the allegation was brought to officials’ attention, according to Pam Zajac, public relations and marketing coordinator of West Bloomfield School District.
Ray Correll, Larkin’s attorney, could not be immediately reached for comment.
- 30 DAYS
- Teens caught shooting paintballs at homes - St. Clair Shores
- Transit center legal question delayed - Troy
- New Kroger could be finished by Thanksgiving - Roseville
- Parade marches on with cheering crowds - St. Clair Shores
- Drilling ordinances ban fracking - Rochester Hills
- Busy weekend ahead for car and truck enthusiasts - Macomb Township
- High school custodian nominated for ‘distinguished’ award - Royal Oak
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township