Hazel Park, Warren
Warren man killed in hit-and-run accident
November 27, 2013
HAZEL PARK — Police are investigating the death of a Warren man who was killed when he was struck by a vehicle crossing the street.
The incident occurred at South Chrysler Drive and East Eight Mile, around 7 p.m. Nov. 20. The victim, 58, was walking east on Eight Mile and crossing with the right of way when a vehicle ran through a red light and hit him.
“He was struck, lifted into the air, and when he landed he was run over, the vehicle in motion the whole time,” said Hazel Park Police Chief Martin Barner. “Then, the vehicle stopped momentarily before fleeing southbound. There should be damage to the passenger front headlight area.”
The vehicle is either a 1994, 1995 or 1996 GMC Sierra pickup, either a 1500 or 3500 model, in either black or dark blue. It is said to have an extended cab with a silver “GMC” on the tailgate.
Police have collected witness statements and evidence at the scene. Detroit police were first to respond. The victim was pronounced dead on arrival at an area hospital, having sustained multiple severe injuries.
“All indications point to this being an accident,” Barner said.
The chief said investigations would continue.
“First, this information has been passed onto area law enforcement, to be aware of individuals either reporting some type of damage, or perhaps a theft of the vehicle in these model years,” Barner said. “Often, people will do that to conceal their involvement in this type of incident.
“Second, we’re asking residents to be aware of anyone with damage to the front passenger headlight area of their vehicle, and to call us,” he said. “And most important of all, the person who is responsible for this, they know who they are, and we ask them to come forward, to come to the Police Department and speak to our investigators.”
The Hazel Park Police Department is located at 111 E. Nine Mile and can be reached by calling (248) 542-6161.
- 30 DAYS
- Local teen wins state pageant title - St. Clair Shores
- Scrivo sentenced to life without parole - St. Clair Shores
- Car chase ends with teen driving into Clinton River - Macomb
- BHMS student to be featured at international art show - Bloomfield Township
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- City offers road, parking lot renovation updates - Sterling Heights
- Warren grows bountiful farmers markets - Warren
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township