A 36-year-old Warren resident died at the scene of an accident after losing control while exiting Interstate 696 onto 11 Mile shortly after midnight Sept. 3, according to police information.
He was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash. The motorcyclist struck the freeway overpass fencing. Police were unsure at press time whether alcohol was involved in the accident.
His 24-year-old passenger, a woman from St. Clair Shores, was taken to a local hospital where she was last listed in “extremely grave condition” with massive injuries to her head. She wasn’t wearing a helmet, either.
“The preliminary investigation has led investigators to believe that the driver of the motorcycle exited the freeway at an extremely high rate of speed,” police stated in a news release. “It is believed that due to the high rate of speed, the victim was unable to negotiate a bend in the road way at the top of the ramp. Unable to make the turn, the victim crashed head-on into the protective wall and fencing that lines the overpass taking 11 Mile Road over I-696.”
The Roseville Police Department’s Major Crash Investigation Team is continuing the investigation into the accident.
- 30 DAYS
- Local families participate in kidney walk - Macomb Township
- Ride to explore sights of St. Clair Shores - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling Heights teen to sing in Nashville — and at Sterlingfest - Sterling Heights
- Teens caught shooting paintballs at homes - St. Clair Shores
- Decades of Dress features ageless fashion - Rochester Hills
- Kyte Monroe Park rededicated to ensure coach’s legacy lives on - St. Clair Shores
- New Kroger could be finished by Thanksgiving - Roseville
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township
- Madison district plans next phase of consolidated campus - Madison Heights