Warren accidents leave one dead, one critically injured
May 20, 2013
WARREN — Police said an elderly driver died and a pedestrian remained in critical condition May 20 after separate weekend crashes.
Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said police and paramedics were called to the scene of a two-car collision at 12 Mile and Milton at 2:05 p.m. May 18 where a 78-year-old Rochester Hills woman was killed.
“A 16-year-old female Warren resident was driving a 2012 Malibu north on Milton at 12 Mile when she was struck by a 2004 Buick driven by a 78-year-old Rochester Hills female,” Mills said. “(There were) minor injuries on the driver and the passenger in the Malibu, and the driver of the Buick was deceased at the scene.”
Mills said it appeared that the Buick was traveling west along 12 Mile when it struck the Malibu broadside as it turned from northbound Milton onto westbound 12 Mile through a green light.
Police said there were no independent witnesses to the crash but that the case was under investigation to ensure the traffic light at the intersection was functioning properly. Mills said the light appeared to be in working order.
On May 19, first responders were called to the driveway of a business on Groesbeck south of Toepfer after a car reportedly left the roadway, struck a building and then hit a pedestrian.
‘The vehicle was southbound on Groesbeck from Toepfer. A silver vehicle veered off the road and struck 21550 Groesbeck and continued southbound,” Mills said. “The victim was struck from behind while she was walking down the sidewalk.”
The driver, later identified as a 30-year-old New Baltimore woman, reportedly left the scene on foot with her boyfriend but they were apprehended by patrol officers near Sidonie and Waltham as they attempted to get into a cab called to a vacant home.
Police suspected the woman was under the influence of prescription drugs. The male passenger, from Detroit, could face charges for helping the driver flee the scene of the accident.
The 46-year-old Warren woman struck by the vehicle remained in critical condition May 20.
Anyone with information about the accidents can reach Warren detectives at (586) 574-4810.
Call Staff Writer Brian C. Louwers at (586) 498-1089.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
- 30 DAYS
- Fraser High band to perform at college football bowl game - Fraser
- Driver in crash that killed teen faces murder charge - Sterling Heights
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- New Fraser council members sworn in - Fraser
- Harper reopened for traffic - St. Clair Shores
- No injuries after shot fired during robbery - Roseville
- Students share words of thanks during holiday week - Clawson
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights