Warrants issued in Taco Bell embezzlement case
March 27, 2013
CLAWSON — The investigation is still ongoing, but police issued a pair of warrants last week against two of three Taco Bell employees suspected of embezzling funds while on the job.
Clawson police learned of the incidents Feb. 14 and have been questioning the employees for the past month about the alleged several-month endeavor that took place at the 131 S. Crooks location, near 14 Mile.
“They were taking orders at the window and would collect the cash, delete the order, give the customer their food and then put the money in the drawer and split it at the end of the night,” Lt. Scott Sarvello said.
Of the three women, those with current warrants out for their arrest include a 25-year-old Royal Oak resident and a 31-year-old Hamtramck resident. Sarvello declined to reveal the age or residence of the third woman, pending charges, as well as names of all three, pending arraignment in court.
The duo with warrants out are each charged with one felony of embezzlement in an amount of between $1,000-$20,000. The penalty for such a charge is up to five years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000, or three times the amount embezzled, whichever is greater.
“It had been going on for several months,” Sarvello said, noting that a more specific amount would be available after the duo is arrested and arraigned.
He said that arrest would occur either through the two women turning themselves in or having a run-in with police over any other matter.
Taco Bell’s corporate office did not return messages seeking comment.
“Detective (John) Reinhardt has been working closely with them,” Sarvello said.
Whether the women were still employed with Taco Bell was not immediately known.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- West Bloomfield hopes to ‘eliminate the stigma’ - West Bloomfield
- K-9 to receive bulletproof vest - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- Rochester hires new city manager - Rochester
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- New web series features talents of local actors - St. Clair Shores
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township