Voters reject $222 million Farmington Public Schools bond proposal
August 6, 2013
Voters in the Farmington Public Schools district denied a $222 million bond request 8,043 votes to 7,084 during the Aug. 6 special election, but FPS Superintendent Sue Zurvalec said the district “is not done.”
“This (the bond) is important for our students and teachers,” she said during an election-viewing event Aug. 6 at 32789 W. 10 Mile Road.
According to the Oakland County Election Division website, www.oakgov.com, a total of 15,127 voters turned out at the polls.
The voters shot down a proposal that would have brought about a 1.44-mill annual tax increase, a cost to average homeowners of approximately $7-$9 per month — or, if going by the estimated monthly average, $84-$108 per year for 25 years. District officials said they needed the money for upgrades to infrastructure, security, technology and learning environments.
The August election is estimated to cost the district between $65,000 and $85,000. District officials said that if they had waited until November, there wouldn’t be enough time to go through the request for proposals process for construction work to begin construction in June 2014, and construction would be delayed for a year, which could be costly if infrastructure fixes are needed before then.
The school district covers Farmington and Farmington Hills, and a portion of West Bloomfield.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores