Farmington, Farmington Hills
Voters deny Farmington school bond proposal
Published November 5, 2013
A $186.2 million Farmington Public Schools two-part redesigned bond proposal failed at the polls Nov. 5.
The two-part proposal was broken up into Proposal 1: safety, infrastructure and technology at $154.6 million; and Proposal 2: arts, athletics and technology replacements at $31.6 million.
Proposal 1 failed with 9,182 no votes, 50.68 percent, while 8,934 voters, or 49.32 percent, voted yes.
Proposal 2 failed with 53.7 percent, or 9,706, no votes, while 46.3 percent of voters said yes.
Voters denied the district’s original $222 million proposal in August by nearly 1,000 votes; the two-part bond proposal was 16 percent less than the original proposal. If the two-part proposal had passed, the millages would have been levied in 2014.
According to the district’s website, Proposal 1 would have cost the owner of a $200,000 home with a $100,000 taxable value $132 per year, or $11 per month; Proposal 2 would have cost the same homeowner $45 annually — for a combined $177 per year for 25 years.
"We believed is was an absolutely critical need for our schools, our students, our staff, and those needs have not gone away," said Farmington Schools Superintendent Sue Zurvalec.
For more information go to http://www.oakgov.com/clerkrod/elections.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township