At 9:20 p.m. Aug. 14, police arrived at the scene of a single-car crash on southbound M-53, near the 22 Mile Road overpass, that killed Nathan James Schroeder, 28, of Sterling Heights, and Sunshine Chaffin, 33, of Fenton.
Schroeder was driving and Chaffin was the passenger. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.
The car, according to witnesses, had been driving up to 100 miles an hour and weaving in and out of traffic prior to the crash. The preliminary police investigation indicated that the vehicle left the freeway, rolled several times and came to a halt in a heavily wooded area.
Police Chief Roland Woelkers said the pair likely was killed on impact and that Chaffin was ejected from the vehicle while Schroeder remained inside.
“(The wreck) was one of the worst ones I’ve ever seen,” he said. “The car was totally crushed and collapsed.”
It appeared that neither occupant of the vehicle was wearing a seat belt, according to the press release, and alcohol may have been a factor in the incident.
“Alcohol was present in the car, but that doesn’t indicate drinking,” Woelkers said. “The toxicology reports will come back in from the medical examiner and autopsies in anywhere up to two months.”
The vehicle was a Honda Civic that Woelkers said was hopped up a bit with a little added horsepower and racing equipment.
Police did not clear the freeway until about 3 a.m. Aug. 15.
An ongoing investigation is being conducted. Any witnesses to the crash should contact the Shelby Township Police Department at (586) 731-2121.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Motorcylist dies shortly after collision on Gratiot Avenue - Clinton Township
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit