Published August 15, 2013
Two killed in single-vehicle crash on M-53
By Sarah Wojcik email@example.com
At 9:20 p.m. Aug. 14, police arrived at the scene of a single-car crash on southbound M-53, near the 22 Mile Road overpass, that killed Nathan James Schroeder, 28, of Sterling Heights, and Sunshine Chaffin, 33, of Fenton.
Schroeder was driving and Chaffin was the passenger. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.
The car, according to witnesses, had been driving up to 100 miles an hour and weaving in and out of traffic prior to the crash. The preliminary police investigation indicated that the vehicle left the freeway, rolled several times and came to a halt in a heavily wooded area.
Police Chief Roland Woelkers said the pair likely was killed on impact and that Chaffin was ejected from the vehicle while Schroeder remained inside.
“(The wreck) was one of the worst ones I’ve ever seen,” he said. “The car was totally crushed and collapsed.”
It appeared that neither occupant of the vehicle was wearing a seat belt, according to the press release, and alcohol may have been a factor in the incident.
“Alcohol was present in the car, but that doesn’t indicate drinking,” Woelkers said. “The toxicology reports will come back in from the medical examiner and autopsies in anywhere up to two months.”
The vehicle was a Honda Civic that Woelkers said was hopped up a bit with a little added horsepower and racing equipment.
Police did not clear the freeway until about 3 a.m. Aug. 15.
An ongoing investigation is being conducted. Any witnesses to the crash should contact the Shelby Township Police Department at (586) 731-2121.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Don’t be behind the curve on roundabouts - Metro Detroit
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley