Two killed in single-vehicle crash on M-53
Published August 15, 2013
At 9:20 p.m. Aug. 14, police arrived at the scene of a single-car crash on southbound M-53, near the 22 Mile Road overpass, that killed Nathan James Schroeder, 28, of Sterling Heights, and Sunshine Chaffin, 33, of Fenton.
Schroeder was driving and Chaffin was the passenger. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.
The car, according to witnesses, had been driving up to 100 miles an hour and weaving in and out of traffic prior to the crash. The preliminary police investigation indicated that the vehicle left the freeway, rolled several times and came to a halt in a heavily wooded area.
Police Chief Roland Woelkers said the pair likely was killed on impact and that Chaffin was ejected from the vehicle while Schroeder remained inside.
“(The wreck) was one of the worst ones I’ve ever seen,” he said. “The car was totally crushed and collapsed.”
It appeared that neither occupant of the vehicle was wearing a seat belt, according to the press release, and alcohol may have been a factor in the incident.
“Alcohol was present in the car, but that doesn’t indicate drinking,” Woelkers said. “The toxicology reports will come back in from the medical examiner and autopsies in anywhere up to two months.”
The vehicle was a Honda Civic that Woelkers said was hopped up a bit with a little added horsepower and racing equipment.
Police did not clear the freeway until about 3 a.m. Aug. 15.
An ongoing investigation is being conducted. Any witnesses to the crash should contact the Shelby Township Police Department at (586) 731-2121.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township