Shelby TownshipAugust 15, 2013
Two killed in single-vehicle crash on M-53
By Sarah Wojcik
C & G Staff Writer
At 9:20 p.m. Aug. 14, police arrived at the scene of a single-car crash on southbound M-53, near the 22 Mile Road overpass, that killed Nathan James Schroeder, 28, of Sterling Heights, and Sunshine Chaffin, 33, of Fenton.
Schroeder was driving and Chaffin was the passenger. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.
The car, according to witnesses, had been driving up to 100 miles an hour and weaving in and out of traffic prior to the crash. The preliminary police investigation indicated that the vehicle left the freeway, rolled several times and came to a halt in a heavily wooded area.
Police Chief Roland Woelkers said the pair likely was killed on impact and that Chaffin was ejected from the vehicle while Schroeder remained inside.
“(The wreck) was one of the worst ones I’ve ever seen,” he said. “The car was totally crushed and collapsed.”
It appeared that neither occupant of the vehicle was wearing a seat belt, according to the press release, and alcohol may have been a factor in the incident.
“Alcohol was present in the car, but that doesn’t indicate drinking,” Woelkers said. “The toxicology reports will come back in from the medical examiner and autopsies in anywhere up to two months.”
The vehicle was a Honda Civic that Woelkers said was hopped up a bit with a little added horsepower and racing equipment.
Police did not clear the freeway until about 3 a.m. Aug. 15.
An ongoing investigation is being conducted. Any witnesses to the crash should contact the Shelby Township Police Department at (586) 731-2121.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi