Troy police officer faces drunken driving charge
January 28, 2014
Troy police took an off-duty Troy police officer into custody after officers reportedly saw the pickup truck the officer was driving strike a median curb on Big Beaver twice just after midnight Jan. 18.
Troy police Sgt. Andy Breidenich said the Troy Police Department will not release the name of the officer until after arraignment.
According to reports, officers approached the driver of the pickup truck after the truck drove on the median near Rochester Road, then came to a stop. Police then discovered that the driver was an off-duty Troy police officer.
Police said the officer and the inside of the vehicle smelled strongly of alcohol. The officer reportedly refused to take a breath test, and after investigation by a police supervisor, was taken into custody for drunken driving. Police obtained a search warrant for a blood draw. The Michigan State Police analyzed the sample and said the blood alcohol count was 0.27 percent, more than three times the legal limit.
Troy police have placed the officer on administrative leave pending outcome of the criminal and internal investigations.
The Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office is reviewing the case.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Man arrested after Harrison Township home invasion - Harrison Township
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit