Troy firefighters rescued numerous motorists stranded in their vehicles after 5 inches of rain flooded roadways in the early evening hours Aug. 11.
According to reports, motorists were stranded primarily in the southeast part of the city, near 14 Mile, Dequindre, Maple, John R and Stephenson.
Troy Assistant Fire Chief David Roberts said in a prepared statement that the exact number of stranded motorists was not known, as reports had not been completed at press time.
Firefighters also checked on motorists stranded at Crooks and Wattles due to flooding on Wattles.
Roberts said there were no injuries.
Firefighters also responded to reports of flooded basements and related electrical hazards in the 14 Mile and Stephenson area. Roberts said no fires were caused from the electrical hazards.
Roberts said that Alliance Mobile Health paramedics, the city’s emergency medical provider, had to hitch a ride through flooded streets with Troy firefighters to respond to a medical emergency, although no additional details of the incident were available.
During the approximately 10 hours of rain, Roberts said, firefighters responded to 32 flood-related incidents in the five-hour span from 7:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township