Published March 13, 2013
Teen killed in undercover drug investigation
SOUTHFIELD — An undercover officer reportedly shot and killed a 17-year-old resident March 12 during a drug investigation at the Cornerstone Village condominium complex.
According to a press release issued by Undersheriff Michael McCabe of the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office, the Narcotics Enforcement Team was conducting an undercover operation at the complex, located off of Greenfield Road, north of Nine Mile Road, at around 3:45 p.m. March 12.
“During the investigation, a suspect pulled a weapon on one of the undercover NET officers and placed the weapon to the (officer’s) head in an attempt to rob him,” McCabe said in the statement. “The officer pulled his gun and was able to fire shots that struck the suspect.”
The suspect was reportedly transported to a local hospital and pronounced dead shortly after; the officer was not harmed.
NET is a multijurisdictional drug taskforce, supervised by the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office. The force is made up of officers from 13 local police agencies and the Drug Enforcement Agency.
The Special Investigations Unit from the Sheriff’s Office, along with the Southfield Police Department, is investigating the crime.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Don’t be behind the curve on roundabouts - Metro Detroit
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley