Teen killed in undercover drug investigation
March 13, 2013
SOUTHFIELD — An undercover officer reportedly shot and killed a 17-year-old resident March 12 during a drug investigation at the Cornerstone Village condominium complex.
According to a press release issued by Undersheriff Michael McCabe of the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office, the Narcotics Enforcement Team was conducting an undercover operation at the complex, located off of Greenfield Road, north of Nine Mile Road, at around 3:45 p.m. March 12.
“During the investigation, a suspect pulled a weapon on one of the undercover NET officers and placed the weapon to the (officer’s) head in an attempt to rob him,” McCabe said in the statement. “The officer pulled his gun and was able to fire shots that struck the suspect.”
The suspect was reportedly transported to a local hospital and pronounced dead shortly after; the officer was not harmed.
NET is a multijurisdictional drug taskforce, supervised by the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office. The force is made up of officers from 13 local police agencies and the Drug Enforcement Agency.
The Special Investigations Unit from the Sheriff’s Office, along with the Southfield Police Department, is investigating the crime.
- 30 DAYS
- Police warn residents of IRS phone scam - Clawson
- Fire Department seeks a few good men and women - Troy
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- Woman dies after police find her unresponsive in car - Royal Oak
- Downtown Birmingham rolls out new logo, holiday perks - Birmingham
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Holiday plays planned in Eastpointe - Eastpointe
- Ghost hunters report paranormal activity at Octagon House - Washington Township
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County