Teen killed in undercover drug investigation
Published March 13, 2013
SOUTHFIELD — An undercover officer reportedly shot and killed a 17-year-old resident March 12 during a drug investigation at the Cornerstone Village condominium complex.
According to a press release issued by Undersheriff Michael McCabe of the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office, the Narcotics Enforcement Team was conducting an undercover operation at the complex, located off of Greenfield Road, north of Nine Mile Road, at around 3:45 p.m. March 12.
“During the investigation, a suspect pulled a weapon on one of the undercover NET officers and placed the weapon to the (officer’s) head in an attempt to rob him,” McCabe said in the statement. “The officer pulled his gun and was able to fire shots that struck the suspect.”
The suspect was reportedly transported to a local hospital and pronounced dead shortly after; the officer was not harmed.
NET is a multijurisdictional drug taskforce, supervised by the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office. The force is made up of officers from 13 local police agencies and the Drug Enforcement Agency.
The Special Investigations Unit from the Sheriff’s Office, along with the Southfield Police Department, is investigating the crime.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township