SouthfieldAugust 29, 2013
Teen dead after off-duty cop carjacking
By Jessica Strachan
C & G Staff Writer
A 17-year-old Southfield resident was shot to death early Monday morning after he allegedly attempted to carjack a man who happened to be an off-duty Detroit police officer.
According to Lt. Nick Loussia of the Southfield Police Department, the victim, a 33-year-old Southfield resident who has yet to be named, was exiting his Dodge Charger in the 23000 block of Riverside Drive, in the Sutton Place Apartments, Aug. 26 when two teenage suspects approached him.
The officer’s report alleged that the suspects were each armed with a handgun, which they pointed directly at him.
“The victim drew his handgun and discharged it, striking one of the suspects,” Loussia said. “The second suspect fled on foot, dropping his handgun.”
Officers from the Southfield Police Department responded to the scene and were able to apprehend the fleeing suspect, Loussia said. According to authorities, there was one other suspect believed to be involved with the attempted carjacking who was arrested then, too. Both were 16-year-old Southfield residents.
Loussia said later Monday afternoon that the arrest of a fourth suspect, a 17-year-old, had been made.
According to the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office, the suspect who was shot died from multiple gunshot wounds, including one shot to the head. He was reportedly armed with a .38 caliber revolver, authorities said.
Loussia said three weapons were recovered from the suspects during the investigation, including a second revolver and a black Air-Soft handgun.
Loussia said the investigation is ongoing.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- Emagine scraps plans for Roseville location - Roseville
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Man robs Roseville bank - Roseville
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi