A 17-year-old Southfield resident was shot to death early Monday morning after he allegedly attempted to carjack a man who happened to be an off-duty Detroit police officer.
According to Lt. Nick Loussia of the Southfield Police Department, the victim, a 33-year-old Southfield resident who has yet to be named, was exiting his Dodge Charger in the 23000 block of Riverside Drive, in the Sutton Place Apartments, Aug. 26 when two teenage suspects approached him.
The officer’s report alleged that the suspects were each armed with a handgun, which they pointed directly at him.
“The victim drew his handgun and discharged it, striking one of the suspects,” Loussia said. “The second suspect fled on foot, dropping his handgun.”
Officers from the Southfield Police Department responded to the scene and were able to apprehend the fleeing suspect, Loussia said. According to authorities, there was one other suspect believed to be involved with the attempted carjacking who was arrested then, too. Both were 16-year-old Southfield residents.
Loussia said later Monday afternoon that the arrest of a fourth suspect, a 17-year-old, had been made.
According to the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office, the suspect who was shot died from multiple gunshot wounds, including one shot to the head. He was reportedly armed with a .38 caliber revolver, authorities said.
Loussia said three weapons were recovered from the suspects during the investigation, including a second revolver and a black Air-Soft handgun.
Loussia said the investigation is ongoing.
- 30 DAYS
- Three Northwood Elementary School teachers to retire in June - Royal Oak
- Traveling Vietnam Wall coming to township for Memorial Day weekend - Clinton Township
- Shelby, Utica police offer parking lots, lobbies for transactions - Shelby Township
- Madison district, Habitat Oakland make case for Halfman project - Madison Heights
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Schools, library to once again host summer nutrition program - Harper Woods
- South student’s artwork to be displayed in the U.S. Capitol - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe