A 17-year-old Southfield resident was shot to death early Monday morning after he allegedly attempted to carjack a man who happened to be an off-duty Detroit police officer.
According to Lt. Nick Loussia of the Southfield Police Department, the victim, a 33-year-old Southfield resident who has yet to be named, was exiting his Dodge Charger in the 23000 block of Riverside Drive, in the Sutton Place Apartments, Aug. 26 when two teenage suspects approached him.
The officer’s report alleged that the suspects were each armed with a handgun, which they pointed directly at him.
“The victim drew his handgun and discharged it, striking one of the suspects,” Loussia said. “The second suspect fled on foot, dropping his handgun.”
Officers from the Southfield Police Department responded to the scene and were able to apprehend the fleeing suspect, Loussia said. According to authorities, there was one other suspect believed to be involved with the attempted carjacking who was arrested then, too. Both were 16-year-old Southfield residents.
Loussia said later Monday afternoon that the arrest of a fourth suspect, a 17-year-old, had been made.
According to the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office, the suspect who was shot died from multiple gunshot wounds, including one shot to the head. He was reportedly armed with a .38 caliber revolver, authorities said.
Loussia said three weapons were recovered from the suspects during the investigation, including a second revolver and a black Air-Soft handgun.
Loussia said the investigation is ongoing.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township