A 17-year-old Southfield resident was shot to death early Monday morning after he allegedly attempted to carjack a man who happened to be an off-duty Detroit police officer.
According to Lt. Nick Loussia of the Southfield Police Department, the victim, a 33-year-old Southfield resident who has yet to be named, was exiting his Dodge Charger in the 23000 block of Riverside Drive, in the Sutton Place Apartments, Aug. 26 when two teenage suspects approached him.
The officer’s report alleged that the suspects were each armed with a handgun, which they pointed directly at him.
“The victim drew his handgun and discharged it, striking one of the suspects,” Loussia said. “The second suspect fled on foot, dropping his handgun.”
Officers from the Southfield Police Department responded to the scene and were able to apprehend the fleeing suspect, Loussia said. According to authorities, there was one other suspect believed to be involved with the attempted carjacking who was arrested then, too. Both were 16-year-old Southfield residents.
Loussia said later Monday afternoon that the arrest of a fourth suspect, a 17-year-old, had been made.
According to the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office, the suspect who was shot died from multiple gunshot wounds, including one shot to the head. He was reportedly armed with a .38 caliber revolver, authorities said.
Loussia said three weapons were recovered from the suspects during the investigation, including a second revolver and a black Air-Soft handgun.
Loussia said the investigation is ongoing.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores