WARREN — A homeowner reportedly shot an armed robber three times and suffered deep cuts to his face during an encounter on Norma east of Hoover and just north of 11 Mile Road at about noon Sept. 17.
“It looks like the homeowner answered the door, and a guy at the door says, ‘Is John home?’ That’s his brother,” Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said. “John’s not home. He lets the guy come in and wait for John to come home. It looks like John sells gold out of the house.”
Green said the suspect then allegedly produced a weapon and demanded gold and cash but was shot twice in the chest and once in the side by the 68-year-old resident, who retrieved a handgun from an upstairs bedroom.
“He starts to give him some of the stuff and says there’s more in the bedroom under the bed,” Green said. “The homeowner reaches under the bed to get more gold and comes out with his weapon.”
The homeowner told police a struggle ensued after he shot the suspect and that the two men fought for a few minutes. The resident suffered deep lacerations on his face when he was beaten with the suspect’s handgun.
Green said the suspect allegedly made it to a waiting car and that the driver dropped the suspect off at Warren’s St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital before he sped away. Police continued to search for the suspect vehicle at press time. The suspect’s condition was not immediately known.
Green said the homeowner was also transported to a hospital for treatment.
Police reportedly recovered two weapons at the home and were still in the process of executing a search warrant at 2 p.m. Sept. 17.
- 30 DAYS
- Three Northwood Elementary School teachers to retire in June - Royal Oak
- Traveling Vietnam Wall coming to township for Memorial Day weekend - Clinton Township
- Shelby, Utica police offer parking lots, lobbies for transactions - Shelby Township
- Madison district, Habitat Oakland make case for Halfman project - Madison Heights
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Schools, library to once again host summer nutrition program - Harper Woods
- South student’s artwork to be displayed in the U.S. Capitol - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe