Superhero film creates commotion, shoots locally
May 21, 2014
KEEGO HARBOR — Though the plot of the upcoming “Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice” film has not been released to the public, the city of Keego Harbor announced at a May 15 board meeting that a film crew recently shot a scene at a local party store.
City Manager Linda Voll said she was told that the film crew scouted over 100 locations for the scene and selected Lakepoint Market, located at Orchard Lake Road and Pridham Street.
“Who knows if (Lakepoint Market) will be in the movie or not, but it is supposed to be in the Batman vs. Superman movie,” Voll said.
Lee Anne Muldoon, publicist with Crown City Pictures, declined to comment on how they selected Lakepoint Market and said that while crews are in Michigan, filming locations will not be announced until after they finish filming.
“Unfortunately, we just don’t want the crowds out,” Muldoon said.
For confidentiality purposes, only a select number of people knew about the Batman vs. Superman filming in Keego Harbor, including the West Bloomfield Fire Department, and Voll said information was on a need-to-know basis
“We had a couple extra (police) officers over that way to keep traffic moving and for crowd control,” Voll said. “I didn’t even tell the police until I needed them.”
The crew set up Wednesday, May 14, and Voll had police officers stationed during the filming from about 6-10 a.m. Thursday, May 15.
“Our guys left, and as far as I know, they were basically done at that time,” Voll said.
Concerned residents called City Hall for information, and that is when Voll and select officials began telling individuals that Lakepoint Market had been selected for a small scene in the movie.
“Keego Harbor is a small city. Not much that happens here goes unnoticed by our residents, so when a bunch of big trucks show up at a store along Orchard Lake Road, with a security detail, and the store closes for a few days, it’s normal for neighbors to start asking questions,” said City Council member Rob Kalman in an email.
This is the second time a location in Keego Harbor has been selected for a film. Voll said that about a year ago, Roosevelt Elementary School was used for another film. She did not disclose the film’s title.
“Filming anywhere is a good promotion,” Voll said. “(This movie) would be a good promotion for Keego.”
Steve Matty, owner of the Lakepoint Market, declined to comment.
“We’ll have to wait until 2016 to see if Keego Harbor gets some screen time. Nonetheless, it’s something for us to look forward to,” Kalman said.
Few details about the movie have been released. According to the Internet Movie Database, Ben Affleck will play Bruce Wayne/Batman and Henry Cavill will play Clark Kent/Superman. The Batman vs. Superman movie is set to be released in 2016.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township