WarrenSeptember 30, 2013
Sterling Heights man killed in motorcycle crash
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN — Warren police said a 45-year-old Sterling Heights man was killed in a midday motorcycle crash at Mound and Chicago roads Sept. 29.
According to Detective Lt. Heidi Metz of the Warren Police Department, the victim, whose name was not immediately released pending notification of family members, died after the motorcycle he was operating on northbound Mound struck a car going east on Chicago Road at about 11:20 a.m.
“A witness that was stopped at the light said the motorcycle did not stop at the light,” Metz said. “He hit the car.”
The driver of the Cadillac CTS that was struck by the motorcycle was not injured.
The crash was the latest in a string of fatal crashes involving motorcycles in Warren since June.
Michigan State Police investigators said a 54-year-old St. Clair Shores man was killed June 1 when the motorcycle he was operating struck the median on eastbound I-696 near Dequindre. No other vehicles were involved.
A 58-year-old Washington Township man was killed July 17 as he was reportedly riding home on a motorcycle from his job at Warren’s U.S. Army Detroit Arsenal and was struck head-on by another vehicle near Van Dyke and Chicago Road. The driver of the Jeep that struck him allegedly crossed the center turn lane into oncoming traffic and was later charged with driving on a suspended license causing death and leaving the scene of an accident. The case remains pending in Macomb County Circuit Court.
On Sept. 8, a 74-year-old Madison Heights man died after he apparently lost control of his motorcycle and struck a curb near 13 Mile and Chicago roads. No other vehicles were involved.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- WB board to petition governor for treasurer’s removal - West Bloomfield
- Bashara seeks laptop in jail as he prepares for murder trial - Detroit
- Puppies transform prisoners - Rochester Hills
- Commission takes stance against I-75 expansion - Royal Oak
- Hackel touts ‘resurgence’ of Macomb County economy - Macomb County
- Troy makes Grand Sakwa offer for transit center land - Troy
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Looking Back: Warren Co-op - Warren
- Ferndale resident taking part in Potters Market for first time - Ferndale
- Avoid holiday horror stories - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi