State police investigate serious traffic crash on I-94
By Kevin Bunch
January 20, 2014
The Michigan State Police is investigating a crash on eastbound Interstate 94, at Masonic Boulevard, that left a 19-year-old Eastpointe man in critical condition Jan. 20.
According to an MSP press release, the state police were dispatched to assist Roseville police officers with a potentially fatal crash at approximately 7 a.m. Prior to the serious-injury crash, a pickup truck going eastbound on I-94 had struck the right median wall. The driver, the 19-year-old from Eastpointe, had exited the vehicle and was standing next to it, and Roseville police were blocking traffic to warn drivers while writing the accident report.
While that was happening, a second two-vehicle crash occurred behind the patrol car, a third vehicle swerved to avoid the second crash, and that vehicle drove around the patrol car and hit the pickup truck, crushing the driver between the truck and the wall, the MSP report said. The pickup truck driver was taken to the hospital and remained in critical condition Jan. 21, but he was expected to survive, according to state police.
The state police are investigating the third crash and do not believe alcohol is a factor. The Roseville Police Department directed questions to the MSP regarding the investigation.
About the author
Staff Writer Kevin Bunch covers the communities of Eastpointe and Roseville, as well as Roseville Community Schools and East Detroit Public Schools. He has worked at C&G Newspapers since 2013, and is a graduate of Wayne State University and Henry Ford Community College. Kevin is also a 2015 Metcalf Institute for Marine & Environmental Reporting alumni.
- 30 DAYS
- Two Muses finds new location in Waterford theater - West Bloomfield
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Bank robbery suspect in police custody - Roseville
- Downtown Rochester to welcome Kris Kringle Market - Rochester
- Teen center receives $10,000 grant for after-school program - Eastpointe
- Breakfast with Santa - Harrison Township
- Transit authority seeks public input on Gratiot changes - Eastpointe
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- Richard Sulaka passes away suddenly at 60 - Warren
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville