St. Clair Shores
Published September 3, 2013
St. Clair Shores Police, K9 help track suspects from Detroit
By Kristyne E. Demske firstname.lastname@example.org
A traffic stop beginning in Detroit had its end in St. Clair Shores after the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee stopped by police in the area of Whittier and Harper Avenue took off northbound on I-94 toward St. Clair Shores.
“We were notified that Detroit was in pursuit of a vehicle entering our jurisdiction at Eight Mile and Harper and that a black male occupant had fired a few shots at officers during pursuit prior to entering St. Clair Shores,” said St. Clair Shores Police Lt. James Fraser.
The incident occurred around 11:40 p.m. Aug. 30. Fraser said soon after that, Detroit Police sent another message saying they had lost sight of the vehicle around Elizabeth and Harper Avenue.
“Obviously, cars in the area (were called to help). I ended up seeing the car at Lakeshire and Harper,” Fraser said.
The driver once again failed to stop and Fraser pursued the female driver up to Waldron and Harper Avenue, where she lost control of the vehicle. On Waldron at Rosebriar, the driver “bailed out of the vehicle on foot,” Fraser said.
At that time, he said, police discovered that the passenger was no longer in the vehicle; they suspect he was dropped off near Elizabeth. Police from Roseville and Clinton Township also came to assist in the search and Fraser said they received calls from residents in the area that the woman went to three different houses looking for help.
“(At) one of the houses, (she) claimed that she was beat up by the boyfriend. (The resident) offered to call police, she took off running again,” Fraser said.
With the help of K9 Officer Hondo and his handler, Officer Chris Periatt, police were able to track the woman to a driveway on Champine St.
“As they were going up the driveway … she gave up,” Fraser said. “She probably heard the dog and … surrendered without further incident.”
The 19-year-old Roseville woman was turned over to Detroit Police. She will face charges of fleeing and eluding in St. Clair Shores. The passenger of the vehicle is still at large.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Don’t be behind the curve on roundabouts - Metro Detroit
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley