Harrison TownshipApril 25, 2013
St. Clair Shores jogger struck by vehicle
By Julie Snyder
C & G Staff Writer
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A 31-year-old St. Clair Shores man sustained non-life-threatening injuries after he was struck by a car during a late-morning jog in Harrison Township April 23.
Macomb County Sheriff’s Lt. John Michalke said the victim was jogging along Jefferson near Ponchartrain at around 11:10 a.m. when he was struck by a vehicle driven by a 62-year-old Shelby Township man.
County deputies had been called to the area of Jefferson and Crocker, following a series of reports about an erratic driver.
While searching for the described vehicle, a report came in about a pedestrian who had been struck by an out-of-control vehicle.
Michalke said that an investigation revealed that the driver of the vehicle was traveling northbound on Jefferson in a 2013 Dodge Ram pick-up truck when he veered across the centerline and struck the victim, who was jogging northbound on the southbound Jefferson shoulder.
The lieutenant said the victim suffered a laceration and was treated and released at McLaren Hospital in Mount Clemens.
The driver was reportedly suffering from a medical condition at the time of the accident. Michalke said the driver had an extremely low blood-sugar level.
“There was no evidence of alcohol or drug use,” he said.
The investigation is continuing, and anyone with information is asked to contact the Macomb Sheriff’s Department at (586) 469-5151. Michalke said once the investigation is complete, it will be turned over to the township attorney or the Macomb County Prosecutor for consideration of any charges.
“It appears to be just a tragic accident,” he said.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- Emagine scraps plans for Roseville location - Roseville
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Man robs Roseville bank - Roseville
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi