Sheriff: Woman seriously injured after clothes catch fire
December 27, 2013
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A 56-year-old Harrison Township woman was seriously injured after her clothing ignited while she stood in front of her gas fireplace.
According to the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office, Harrison Township firefighters, EMS and deputies were dispatched to the home on the 38000 block of Mast Street at 5:21 p.m. Dec. 26.
The victim was able to relay that she was standing in front of her gas log fireplace smoking a cigarette when her clothes ignited.
She told deputies that she fell to the floor and rolled while attempting to extinguish the flames. In the meantime, her son, who is in his late 20s, was on the second floor when he heard a smoke alarm activate. Sheriff’s officials report that the man said he ran to the first floor of the home and found his mother on the floor in front of the fireplace, and her clothes were on fire.
The man filled a bowl with water and attempted to douse the flames. While this helped, he was forced to throw an area rug over her to fully extinguish the flames, the sheriff’s department stated.
The woman was transported first to the McLaren Hospital in Mount Clemens, and subsequently transferred to Detroit Receiving Hospital for treatment.
Her injuries do not appear to be life threatening.
Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said the incident was nothing more than a freak accident.
“From everything we know, it appears to be accidental,” he said. “There will be no (criminal) investigation.”
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township