Sheriff: Woman seriously injured after clothes catch fire
By Julie Snyder
December 27, 2013
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A 56-year-old Harrison Township woman was seriously injured after her clothing ignited while she stood in front of her gas fireplace.
According to the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office, Harrison Township firefighters, EMS and deputies were dispatched to the home on the 38000 block of Mast Street at 5:21 p.m. Dec. 26.
The victim was able to relay that she was standing in front of her gas log fireplace smoking a cigarette when her clothes ignited.
She told deputies that she fell to the floor and rolled while attempting to extinguish the flames. In the meantime, her son, who is in his late 20s, was on the second floor when he heard a smoke alarm activate. Sheriff’s officials report that the man said he ran to the first floor of the home and found his mother on the floor in front of the fireplace, and her clothes were on fire.
The man filled a bowl with water and attempted to douse the flames. While this helped, he was forced to throw an area rug over her to fully extinguish the flames, the sheriff’s department stated.
The woman was transported first to the McLaren Hospital in Mount Clemens, and subsequently transferred to Detroit Receiving Hospital for treatment.
Her injuries do not appear to be life threatening.
Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said the incident was nothing more than a freak accident.
“From everything we know, it appears to be accidental,” he said. “There will be no (criminal) investigation.”
About the author
Staff Writer Julie Snyder covers Harrison Township, Mount Clemens, Macomb County, L’Anse Creuse Public Schools, and Mount Clemens Community Schools for the Journal. She has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2003, and attended the University of Toledo with degrees in journalism and photography. Julie has received several awards for her work in Arizona and Washington, including AP awards in Arizona for breaking news reporting and feature writing.
- 30 DAYS
- Downtown Rochester to welcome Kris Kringle Market - Rochester
- Two Muses finds new location in Waterford theater - West Bloomfield
- Group unveils tentative list of crash-prone intersections - Metro Detroit
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Transit authority seeks public input on Gratiot changes - Eastpointe
- Teen center receives $10,000 grant for after-school program - Eastpointe
- Bank robbery suspect in police custody - Roseville
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- Richard Sulaka passes away suddenly at 60 - Warren
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville