Published March 18, 2013
Sheriff’s office arrests 2 Ohio men
By Robert Guttersohn email@example.com
» click to enlarge «
MOUNT CLEMENS — The Macomb County Sheriff’s office arrested two men March 14 allegedly hiding out here after an Ohio crime spree, according to a sheriff’s office press release.
After escaping an initial arrest attempt, the two suspects Robert Hamman, 43, and Jeffrey Patton, 42, split up and led authorities in Macomb County on a countywide search spanning from Mount Clemens to Macomb Township and St. Clair Shores.
Both men from Willard, Ohio have criminal charges pending in Ohio.
After attempting to escape using a stolen vehicle, Hamman was charged March 15 with one felony count of motor vehicle unlawful driving away and a felony count of fleeing a police officer. If convicted of both charges, Hamman could serve seven years in prison.
He was arraigned in Shelby Township’s 41-A District Court and is being held on $10,000 bond.
Macomb County Prosecutors have not charged Patton with a crime, but both suspects are awaiting possible extradition to Ohio for the offenses allegedly committed there, according to officials.
After a rash of break-ins in Huron County, Ohio, a witness allegedly named Hamman and Patton as the culprits, authorities said. Officials there discovered the two were in Michigan.
“Through the use of technology, they determined the two were in Mount Clemens,” said Lt. John Michalke from the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office.
At about 1 a.m. on March 14, Deputies discovered the two suspects’ truck parked in a Mount Clemens motel, but the two men fled the scene on foot toward Macomb Township before an arrest could be made, Michalke said.
“We actually believe they were walking down the railroad tracks,” he said.
Hours later, a truck was reported stole near the intersection of 21 Mile and Fairchild roads in Macomb Township. Authorities said the truck was outfitted with a GPS device, allowing authorities to track the driver, Hamman, who was driving west on Interstate 94.
Eight hours after spotting their truck in Mount Clemens, deputies stopped the vehicle on the interstate near 9 Mile Road and arrested Hamman, officials said.
Patton was arrested two hours later while on foot near 21 Mile Road and North Avenue in Macomb.
Michalke said there will be a court hearing to decide if the two men will be extradited to Ohio.
- 24 HRS
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Dozens file for Warren city offices as lawsuit lingers - Warren
- List of intersection accident data released - Metro Detroit
- Detroit Zoo crowdfunds to harness energy from poop - Metro Detroit
- Rebuilding Together breathes new life into homes - Farmington Hills
- Alleged murderer of party store owner to stand trial - Clinton Township
- Crime down, quality of department up in 2014 - Royal Oak
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- By the book: Experts explain how strange, outdated laws manage to stick around - Metro Detroit
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- New kiosk to assist Stony Creek cyclists - Sterling Heights
- Jazz pros, students to celebrate music of past and present at April 30 concert - Detroit
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson