WarrenOctober 22, 2013
Senior dies after crash on 12 Mile Road
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN — Police said an investigation into an Oct. 18 two-car crash on 12 Mile Road remained ongoing this week after a 75-year-old Warren man later died at the hospital.
Warren Police Lt. Heidi Metz said the man involved in the crash near the St. Faustina Church, east of Schoenherr, at 9:40 a.m. had been treated for a leg injury. She said investigators later learned the man died at the hospital and that an investigation into the crash and the man’s death was ongoing.
“At the scene, he had only a broken leg. We were notified later he died,” Metz said. “He was talking at the scene and everything. We were surprised when we got a call from the hospital.”
Metz said the police report on the accident indicated the vehicle driven by the deceased man had pulled out of the church parking lot and onto eastbound 12 Mile where his blue Chevrolet was struck by a black Jeep heading west, driven by a 62-year-old Warren woman. The Chevy was struck on the driver’s door and the Jeep suffered damage to the front end.
“He was broadsided. The question is whether he pulled out in front of her or what,” Metz said.
The driver of the Jeep was also transported to the hospital but Metz said neither driver had injuries that were believed to be serious. She said detectives would speak with witnesses to determine if any other factors contributed to the crash.
An autopsy would likely be conducted to determine what caused the man’s death.
Anyone with information about the crash can reach Warren detectives at (586) 574-4810.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi