Selfridge-stationed Marine facing federal charge after Facebook threat
By Julie Snyder
September 25, 2013
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A Marine stationed at Selfridge Air National Guard base is accused of making a Facebook threat referencing the recent mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard.
According to criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court on Sept. 24, Cpl. Moses Santillan Castro allegedly posted the following statement on his Facebook page: “going to pull Washinton (sic) Navy Yard on my people if they don’t stop bull (expletive). Walk up and beeach (sic) (expletive) erbody (sic).”
The alleged threat was made on Sept. 20. According to the affidavit submitted by FBI Special Agent William R. Fleming, Castro was interviewed by members of Selfridge’s security force on Sept. 21. Castro at that time said he could not recall making the threat because he had been “extremely intoxicated” the night before. He also stated that when he woke up the following morning, he saw the post and immediately deleted it.
When asked about Castro Sept. 25, Selfridge Media Relations Specialist Sgt. Dan Heaton said, "At this point it is an ongoing investigation. It would be inappropriate for me to comment at this time."
Fleming’s affidavit goes on to indicate that on Sept. 23, Castro was admitted, by order of the U.S. Marine Corp, to undergo a psychological evaluation at an area medical facility.
After running a thorough background check on Castro, authorities found he had been arrested in October 2006 in Dallas and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The disposition of the case was listed as “released without prosecution.”
In October 2007, Castro was arrested by the Mountain View College Police in Texas and charged with possession of marijuana and driving while intoxicated. Fleming stated that the disposition of that case is “unknown.”
Additionally, in February 2013, Castro was disciplined by the Marine Corp for assaultive behavior toward trainees. He was relieved of duty, demoted and transferred to Selfridge.
Investigators believe because Castro is an active member of the military and has access to the base, he is able to gain access to firearms or other dangerous weapons, which would allow him to carry out a threat.
The affidavit was submitted to the court for the purpose of establishing probable cause.
FBI agent Robert Beckman confirmed on Sept. 26 that Castro was taken into custody by his department on Sept. 25, and has since been turned over to the U.S. Marshals Service.
About the author
Staff Writer Julie Snyder covers Harrison Township, Mount Clemens, Macomb County, L’Anse Creuse Public Schools, and Mount Clemens Community Schools for the Journal. She has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2003, and attended the University of Toledo with degrees in journalism and photography. Julie has received several awards for her work in Arizona and Washington, including AP awards in Arizona for breaking news reporting and feature writing.
- 30 DAYS
- Fraser High band to perform at college football bowl game - Fraser
- Driver in crash that killed teen faces murder charge - Sterling Heights
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- New Fraser council members sworn in - Fraser
- Harper reopened for traffic - St. Clair Shores
- No injuries after shot fired during robbery - Roseville
- Students share words of thanks during holiday week - Clawson
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights