FRASER — A man who reportedly collected thousands of dollars to fix a church roof and did no actual work is facing a court date.
Joseph Delmaro, 28, of Macomb Township identified himself as the owner of Watertight Roofing, a company hired by St. John Lutheran Church in Fraser in regard to roof issues.
The church, located on 14 Mile Road, contacted Delmaro in September, and the work was allegedly completed in October. Delmaro collected $4,000 from the job: $2,000 before starting the job and $2,000 after it was finished.
Church employees later found that no work was reportedly done at all.
When police tried to question Delmaro at his home in Macomb Township in early November, he allegedly wasn’t home.
“We think he took off because he knows we are looking for him,” said Fraser Lt. Dan Kolke, prior to Delmaro’s arrest and court sentencing.
Kolke said Delmaro was arrested and arraigned Nov. 6 on charges of larceny by conversion over $1,000. He was sentenced to a Nov. 13 preliminary exam at 39th District Court in Roseville.
“If (a business transaction is) over $1,000, it’s a felony,” Kolke said. “It means they told somebody they would do something, and a person or business gives money and they don’t complete the job.”
Delmaro posted $10,000 bond on Nov. 6.
According to Kolke, this is not the first time Delmaro has deceived a church.
In 2009, he supposedly pulled the same trick on a church in Shelby Township. Kolke said that after what happened in Fraser, the church in Shelby Township may also be more inclined to look more thoroughly into that past situation.
- 30 DAYS
- Teens caught shooting paintballs at homes - St. Clair Shores
- Transit center legal question delayed - Troy
- New Kroger could be finished by Thanksgiving - Roseville
- Parade marches on with cheering crowds - St. Clair Shores
- Drilling ordinances ban fracking - Rochester Hills
- Busy weekend ahead for car and truck enthusiasts - Macomb Township
- High school custodian nominated for ‘distinguished’ award - Royal Oak
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township