Robbery suspects injure elderly woman
December 26, 2013
Police are looking for two suspects in a strong arm robbery that occurred at a residence in the 3000 block of Spanish Oaks Drive at approximately 12:10 p.m. Dec. 23.
According to police reports, an 83-year-old resident was assaulted by two men immediately after she exited her vehicle in her garage. A diamond ring was forcibly removed from her finger, causing injuries to her hand. Police took the victim to Henry Ford Hospital in West Bloomfield for treatment. Police said the woman has a disability, but declined to elaborate.
The value of the ring was not reported, but Chief Michael Patton said the victim expressed that the ring is a family heirloom.
Reports state that the victim was possibly followed from the Village Palace Restaurant, located at 4170 Orchard Lake Road in Orchard Lake Village. The victim reported that she believes she saw one of the suspects at a table next to her.
West Bloomfield detectives are working to verify the suspects’ descriptions with witnesses. Patton said they are also are scanning local surveillance cameras for more information.
Both suspects were described as 30-40 years old, 200-250 pounds, 5 feet 10 inches-6 feet tall, with olive/darker skin. One was clean shaven and has short brown hair. He wore a dark colored knit hat. Both possibly speak Arabic.
“It’s unusual for a crime in West Bloomfield to have a robbery of a person like that at their home,” Patton said. “This one is particularly upsetting because, one, of the victim’s age and her disability.”
Patton was the first responding officer on the scene, and though he has not seen any file of medical reports, he said it looked like two of the victim’s fingers were broken.
The police are asking anyone with information about the incident to call the West Bloomfield Police Department at (248) 975-9200.
About the author
Staff Writer Cari DeLamielleure-Scott covers West Bloomfield, Orchard Lake, Keego Harbor, Sylvan Lake and the West Bloomfield Schools and Walled Lake Community Schools districts for the Beacon. Cari has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2013 and attended Madonna University.
- 30 DAYS
- Fraser High band to perform at college football bowl game - Fraser
- Driver in crash that killed teen faces murder charge - Sterling Heights
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- New Fraser council members sworn in - Fraser
- Harper reopened for traffic - St. Clair Shores
- No injuries after shot fired during robbery - Roseville
- Students share words of thanks during holiday week - Clawson
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights