Police arrest man suspected of three armed robberies
August 19, 2014
On Aug. 19, police arrested a 26-year-old man from Shelby Township who, they believe, committed three robberies at knifepoint in a four-day span in Shelby Township.
On Aug. 21, Milko Saran was arraigned at the 41-A District Court in front of Judge Douglas Shepherd. The Macomb County Prosecutor’s Office charged Saran with three counts of armed robbery.
Saran currently is lodged at the Macomb County Jail on a $750,000 bond. He requested a court-appointed attorney who had not been appointed as of press time.
In a press release, Lt. Scott Trumbo wrote that due to the danger to the public and increasing brazenness of the crimes, officers worked closely with the community and quickly developed key information leading to a certain individual.
“The arrest culminated from the diligent efforts made by responding patrol officers and careful work by detectives, along with the active assistance and support from the business community, including tips generated from local area news broadcasts,” Trumbo wrote.
The first incident took place Aug. 15. At 4:17 p.m., Shelby Township police received a 911 call from an employee at Vim and Vigor Health Food Store, located at 51330 Van Dyke Ave., north of 23 Mile Road.
The employee stated that she had just been robbed at knifepoint. She told responding officers than an unknown male came in through the front door and approached her across the counter, wielding a knife and demanding money, police said.
The robber then exited through the front door and ran south with an undisclosed amount of money. The employee described the robber as wearing a beige baseball cap, black pants and a black shirt. No vehicle was seen.
Jeff Scheuer, owner of Mattress To Go in the same plaza as Vim and Vigor, said he witnessed four squad cars at the scene, as well as a canine unit.
“I’m wondering who thinks to rob a vitamin store,” he said. “It’s not normal for this area. But I was really happy to see the Shelby Township police and even Oakland County Sheriff here very quickly.”
The second robbery occurred at Arena Bridal and Formal, located at 52095 Van Dyke Ave., between 23 Mile and 24 Mile roads, but police did not offer more information about the crime.
The latest robbery occurred Aug. 18. At 6:32 p.m., Shelby Township police received a 911 call from an employee at the Dr. Quinn Weight Loss Clinic, located at 45977 Hayes Road, between Hall and 21 Mile roads.
The employee stated that the robber came in through the front door and demanded money while wielding a knife. The robber left through the back door with an undisclosed amount of money and was seen getting into a black Mazda with tinted windows and a blue and white Michigan license plate.
The robber was wearing a white baseball cap with an old English “D” on the front, white pants and a striped shirt.
The investigation is continuing. Police ask that anyone with information relating to any of the robberies contact the Shelby Township Police Department at (586) 731-2121, ext. 319.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- No charges for customer who shot accused bank robber - Warren
- Warren sued over alleged persecution of medical pot patients - Warren
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Nurse anesthetists to host Ether Day Frolic 5K at River Bends Park - Shelby Township
- Residents, businesses honored for beautification - St. Clair Shores
- Court dismisses charge against teacher in East Detroit drowning case - Eastpointe
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township